Developing a strong identity instead of living up to a stereotypical image is an important power for a girl. Pick out a book or movie from the power source category. Find prompting questions below to answer after reading the book or watching the movie.
Power Source: When a girl feels pride in being a girl, in her racial and sexual identity, and recognizes how stereotypes limit her, she can:
- Understand situations that cause her to put on a false image.
- Name stereotypes she has experienced as discriminatory and harmful
- Choose experiences that help her grow her true identity
- Share belonging with others based on values she identifies with
1. Reflecting on the list above, and using passages from the book or movie, where do you see the main character using the power of her identity?
2. Reflecting on the list above, and using passages in the book or movie, where do you see the main character lacking power in her identity?
3. During the course of the book or movie, how does the main character grow or change as a result of a strong identity?
4. In your life, what are identities that you feel proud of?
5. What is one of the skills from the list above that you want to work on with a friend or mentor after reading this book or watching this movie?