Power Surge: Book and Movie Discussions
When a girl uses Power Surge to make a decision, using choice to say yes or no based on her values, she grows to believe that her actions make a difference. To explore this power, pick out a book or movie from power surge books and movies. After watching or reading, answer the questions below.
Power Surge: When a girl understands that she has choices, she does not leave her life to chance and can:
- Use personal not popular culture values as a guide
- Understand media literacy skills
- Make decisions without concern for pleasing others
- Believes her actions make a difference
1. Reflecting on the list above, and using passages from the book or movie, where do you see the main character using power in her choices?
2. Reflecting on the list above, and using passages from the book or movie, where do you see the main character lacking power in her choices?
3. During the course of the book or movie, does the main character grow or change as a result of the choices she makes?
4. In your life, what are choices you’ve made that have had the biggest difference in improving your life? Which have made your life harder?
5. What is one of the skills from the list above that you want to work on with a friend or mentor?